Monday, February 22, 2016

Traditional garb from various historical cultures from Utratim

http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Library/MEMyths.html
This is a great article. It was assembled/written by Urtatim of the SCA. Urtatim is emphasizing that there are plenty of sources, visual references, etc. to establish what people wore in their place and time...during which they danced. If the goal is "historical accuracy" then this is a great resource.

If I decide to dance in an SCA context, I would choose my favorite kind of dance first, figure out who was doing it, and dress like them. OR I would choose a persona and throw a hip scarf over the kirtle. :-) Nevertheless I'm pinning looks on a couple of pinterest boards: Belly dance, and SCA belly dance looks. It's REALLY fun. :-) The appeal for me is to have all these juxtapositions of stuff I like: mirrors and velvet and embroidery and coins. Since I'm just dreaming, I can dream that I have EVERY kind of costume. Just as I imagine that I will learn EVERY kind of dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment